Wednesday, 3 November 2010



I grew up with photography in my family. I was born in London, the north west part, a part that I no longer visit. Just over three years ago I decided to walk around the old neighbourhood. It was peculiar, as north London had a look to it that I can't describe. When you sit on the metropolitan line with its big windows, the houses built along the railways all look the same. It reminded me so much of my childhood friends who had gardens just like these. 



As i reached the station the town was as clean and sweet as I remembered it at ten. The roads weren't quite as big but apart from that, everything was the same. I walked and walked back to my old house - we lived on the corner of a close with a big front garden and a tiny back garden with a red grape vine growing over the grass. It used to drop so many grapes; we used to take them on trays to our neighbours. The house had had a garage which was now converted into an extension; it looked so odd to me. I didn't spend too long staring at it, i just walked past. 



I walked through the locals woods which i used to walk my black Labrador Algy in, he was a good dog. There were little squirrels everywhere, something that excited me. I never see this on the Isle of Wight, red squirrels are so rare. Philip and I had just started dating at the time - I was at the stage where I wasn't sure what was going on. I don't enjoy that part, but I always remember it when I think of that trip. 



When we lived in London my father had a boat - it lived in various parts (Plymouth, Southampton, Portsmouth.) We used to take trips to France and stop off at the Isle of Wight as a half way point. I think I would appreciate the boat a lot more these days. I would love the freedom of sailing a boat in the sunshine, to take pictures (back then I would throw up over the side.) France was too far, but my mother used to make me and my sister summer activity packs with paper, colouring pencils and scooby doos (little pieces of spaghetti coloured plastic which could be made into shapes). We loved the Isle of Wight though, I remember one day we had anchored off the coast and my parents were sitting in bed reading a local newspaper and we saw a house. It was the most beautiful house i had ever seen, so that day we went to visit it. It was in the middle of no where in a place called Yafford. We fell in love with this house and knew this was the one we had to live in. It took 18 months of trying to sell our house and move, we thought it would never happen and it was all we wanted, to move from the city to a farm in the middle of no where on the Isle of Wight. Eventually when I was eleven we moved, it was a big house with open fields, apple trees and its own woods. 



I didn't settle down well in school, I had gone to private school and struggled with learning difficulties and helper teachers during my time in London. State school was very different. I hated it, The kids were really in your face. Eventually I got used to it and I was no longer struggling so much at education. I had always been good at drawing - this continued throughout school, i explored most mediums. I didn't take up photography until I was sixteen, when my father bought me my first digital camera, before that we had used a lot of film cameras. I always had access to film cameras, people used to be surprised at the amount of lenses I owned but over the years I accumulated so many from my grandfathers and father who all did photography. I would never sell any of my equipment, its part of my life and I don't see the point in getting a little money for something that has helped me so much to learn when I can keep it and appreciate it what it taught me. I love to look at it all to see how technology has moved on and the different results you can get from older equipment. 


I thought of this image and it inspired a lot of memories which I wanted to take down.