Friday, 6 December 2013


Beetroot Soup.

4 cooked beetroot, sliced
200ml of tomato passata
half a medium red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, chopped
40g feta cheese
rape seed oil
half a vegetable stock cube
salt & pepper to taste

On return from my November road trip through California, I needed some very nutritious food. I found eating in America quite hard as my diet consists mostly of vegetables, lentils and beans which seemed tricky to come across when we were on the road a lot. I needed good detox foods when I returned and after recently making beetroot hummus, I had some left overs and needed a recipe to finish them off.

Beetroot has a lot of health benefits including magnesium, iron, and vitamin C and is great for the skin, hair and cholesterol levels, but it can also help support liver detoxification.

Start by frying the garlic and onion in the oil until soft, then add the sliced beetroot and tomato passata. Crumble the stock cube over the top and fry for 5-8 mins until nice and hot, then pour into a blender and blend until you have a nice smooth consistency. The mixture maybe a little thick, so add some hot water and keep blending until you have reached your desired consistency. Pour into a bowl and crumble feta cheese on top and season to taste.

Serves 2.