Wednesday, 14 May 2014


Steamed Clams in Garlic Butter.

10 clams per person
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp butter
1 cup white wine
half a lemon, juiced

What is your 'soul-food'? For me it is sea food. The smell, the salty taste, I love everything about it. I don't like to over complicate things when it comes to food just simple, good recipes. Some days I will intend to sit and work at my computer, but somehow find myself in the kitchen cooking something new or an older favourite. It brings a smile to my face.
There is a weekend farmers market near my house and most Saturdays I will venture out to look at the breads, fish, meats, cheeses and flowers. Last Saturday the clams caught my eye. I made myself some fresh granary bread with dates and walnuts in, set it aside to cool and got started on the clams.

Crush your garlic and place it in a pot with the butter and onions, fry for a minute until they have softened. Add the clams, lemon and white wine, place a lid on the pot and allow it to steam for 5-7 mins, shaking the pot occasionally until all the clams have opened up. Discard any that are still closed and serve on a plate with some hot bread. The bread can be used to dip in the left over sauce, a perfect little lunch!