Sunday, 3 August 2014


My favourite books.

I wanted to write a little piece on my favourite books. I am often travelling around from place to place, not necessarily far but enough to need a book, usually I will always have at least one I am reading at one time. I have a list of all the books I have really enjoyed and when going through it to write this, I've realised just how dark my taste in books has become. Here are some I would like to share.

'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy, is a shorter story, a bleak, post-apocalyptic world, where you are given no back story to the two main characters and how they came to be. Cormac McCarthy is a dark writer, I am currently reading another of his books, 'Blood Meridian.' It is also a good film.

'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson, is both one of my favourite books and films. I think its an excellent and exciting story, one that I always recommend. I think crime stories are one of my favourite genres.

'Let The Right One In' by John Avide Lindqvist is again another excellent film, the book is much darker and more disturbing, difficult to read at times, but a beautiful story about a friendship between a young girl and boy.

'I Am Legend' by Richard Matheson is a book written in 1954, t has influenced other horror writers today such as Dean Koontz. Unlike the film, reading the book to the end ensures the title actually makes sense. The book is about the last man left on earth after a disease turns everyone in to vampires, the book follows the years of his life from desperate loneliness to a man who has become happy with his isolation.

'The Pit And The Pendulum' by Egdar Allan Poe is a classic, published in 1842. It is a short story about the torments endured by a prisoner of the Spanish Inquisition.

'The Art of Happiness' by the Dalai Lama & Howard C. Cutler, the only happy book in my list. I am not a fan of a self help books, however, I was recommend it and found this a nice read, with many great insights to ponder over.

'The Face' by Dean Koontz, was the first of many books I read by this author and certainly one of the better ones. Dean Koontz is really excellent with scary antagonist characters and i found this to be both a exciting and eerie book.

'Out' by Natsuo Kirino, is a Japanese translated book. In total she has three of her novels translated to English, all of which I have read, but Out is the one I keep coming back to. I picked up this book a very long time ago and it has always remained on my book shelf.