Thursday, 20 November 2014


Elements of my home.

Interiors are a personal passion of mine, it doesn't matter if I am selecting paint samples or looking through book imagery, I just love a beautiful home and I can spend a lot of the day thinking about the perfect house. This can vary from a French apartment within a tall building, with high ceilings and a Juliet balcony covered in flowers to a small Colonial house in America, painted white with a front porch and surrounded by trees. Sometimes I crave living in a thatch cottage in the English countryside with a vegetable garden, other times it's a Georgian town house in a small town with a local market.
I have lived in my current apartment within a victorian town house for over six years now and in that time it has been a working project of mine, adjusting little elements as my style grows and changes. I wanted to take a series of photographs to share that, and shot my home in early spring, but it was only more recently I got around to placing them here - since then little parts had changed. So the images are a mixture of bright spring photographs, contrasted with shadowy, autumnal ones.

I picked out certain things I love about it to talk about.

In my bedroom, I have a stack of old books that belonged to my grandfather. My bed was something I was given. It has been sanded down and repainted to look distressed. The large frame is a photograph by Irving Penn, one of my favourite photographers. I have an old wooden trunk which was a gift from my mother. The bedroom is a mushroom & lavender colour scheme. I have some Moroccan sheets from Zara home and some fresh white ones with charcoal linen pillow cases.

In my kitchen, I like to grow fresh herbs like basil, I have a small selection of wooden chopping boards and jars of dried goods. My breakfast table is an old one I was given and I have four black Victorian Bentwood chairs that I rescued from a Cafe that was closing down. I have a black console table with a large black mirror from Ikea and a black Victorian coat stand, which I bought online. The flowers are a combination of things I grow in the garden, buy from my local farmers market or have dried myself.

My living room is painted french grey on one wall and has a sort of grey-blue-black colour scheme.
I collect French posters & postcards, I have six framed on walls around my home, including one I bought in a French vineyard during a trip. I have a wooden screen which is hand painted by furniture designer Steven Shell. The cushions are linen and along with the throws, are from Ikea.

Our guest room is also my partners office. We have a beautiful white day bed and an old cabinet that belonged to my grandmother that I restored. Just outside I have a large mirror leaning against the wall in the corridor that I previously bought and repainted, as well as a distressed, framed world map.