Wednesday, 19 November 2014


Spirulina Smoothie.

1/2 banana
115g spinach measurements
125g blueberries
1tsp spirulina
1tbsp chia seeds
2 dates
50ml water

I have to say, I am not really a smoothie kind of person but I love the colour of Spirulina smoothies, so I thought I would make my own. Nothing to it, other than mixing everything in a blender and pouring into a glass. Spirulina is a health food with an unusual taste and deep green colour. If you have not had it before, it is best to start with a small amount, otherwise the taste will become overpowering. Spirulina is part of the algae family and great for vegetarians and vegans as it is high in protein. The combination of Chia and Spirulina makes a complete protein, which means it contains an adequate proportion of all nine essential amino acids. The smoothie is also full of vitamins and iron, so it's a healthy meal in a glass.